Mediation is a widely accepted and often preferable form of alternative dispute resolution. In family law, people have process alternatives. Traditional litigation, mediation, collaborative law and kitchen table discussions are the most common.
People looking to achieve an agreed upon outcome, willing to communicate and compromise to resolve their personal issues without ongoing court involvement, can benefit greatly from working with a mediator.
Benefits of Mediation
- Creates agreements designed to prevent future disputes
- Control is retained by couple- not Courts
- Potential time and money savings
- Preserves relationships
- Protects children – less conflict
- Empowers people to manage their own disputes
- Promotes peace within a family
- Reduces emotional costs
- Avoids public disclosure of personal matters – confidentiality maintained